The secret to this vegan mayo is roasting the nuts slightly. This gives such deepness in flavors. This cashew mayo is vegan, whole food plant-based, oil-free and low sodium.
I honestly have not managed to make a plant-based oil-free mayo that tastes like real mayonnaise. Sure the store-bought vegan mayonnaise is great, but they are also processed junk with additives and preservatives.
This recipe is closest to what I can call a homemade cashew mayo, which I really enjoy using in foods. I love to put this on top of pizza, in tortillas, or dipping french fries. You can use this recipe as a base for many other sauces.
Cashew nuts. You can always use unroasted nuts for this recipe, but roasting the nuts gives so much deepness in the flavor and makes this such a delicious dip.
Water, use the amount as in the recipe to make a firm consistency. The mayo thickens in the fridge, especially if you use unsoaked cashews. Add some more water if you like to have a different consistency.
Mustard, you can use Dijon mustard or ordinary yellow mustard. My favorite is sweet mustard. If you use sweet mustard, you don't need any other sweetness to the mayo.
Vinegar. I recommend apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
Sweetness from a date or maple syrup. This is optional. I like the slightly sweet tone this gives, and it balances the vinegar.
Garlic powder. I love some garlic or onion powder. It gives some extra taste since cashews are very plain.
Salt and Pepper. Add to your taste.
To make the mayo, you need a blender, food processor, or hand mixer. I love a power blender because then you don't even need to soak the nuts. It comes out as a creamy, fluffy consistency.
I have a Bosh vitamaxx vacuum blender, but I have to scrape down the sides a couple of times while blending with that one. Vitamix blender is great for making sauces and spreads. And don't forget that you can use a Nutramilk milk maker as a food processor also.
How to make cashew mayo?
- Start by roasting your nuts. I love to roast them in my Philips XXL airfyer. 392F for 3-4 minutes. This is how they come out, just slightly toasted. You can also roast them in the oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Soak your cashews in hot water for 15 minutes if you don't have a power blender.
- Put the cashews with all other ingredients in your blender and blend until soft and creamy, scrape the sides if you need to.
What to eat with/serving tips
- You can use this mayo as a dip for air-fried sweet potato fries.
- This is a great base as a salad dressing, just add some water to it.
- Lovely as a spread on toast.
- Great in hamburgers
- Nice sauce base to vegan skagen
How to store
Store your mayo in an airtight container, otherwise, it will get a bit browner on the top and change color. Mayo lasts one week in the fridge.
Freezing cashew mayo is not recommended. It becomes watery when thawed.
This is definitely not a low-calorie sauce. But compared to regular mayonnaise, this has in 100 grams:
- Fiber 3,5g
- Calcium 25mg
- Iron 6mg
- Potassium 565mg
- Magnesium 260mg
- Zink 5,6mg
Because of the great nutrient content, you should change your oil-based mayonnaise to a whole foods plant-based one.
How to make a low-calorie version?
If you would like to make a low-calorie mayonnaise, then make it with silken tofu. To reduce some calories, add ¾ cup of silken tofu and use half of nuts and water. Then you still get the taste of the roasted cashews to flavor your mayonnaise.
- Vegan sriracha mayo. Add some sriracha sauce to spice up things, and get a spicy cashew mayo.
- Vegan chipotle mayo. Add chipotle chili
- Cashew aioli. Add 1-2 fresh garlic cloves.
- With fresh herbs. Fresh herbs are so delicious. Use together or separate, fresh or dried. Basil, Cilantro, Dill, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano.
- 1 and ⅓ cup cashews, 200 grams
- ¾ cup water, 180ml
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, or yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small soft pitted date
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- +/- Salt and pepper
- Start by roasting your cashews. In an air fryer at 392F, 200C for 3-4 minutes until just slightly golden. Or in the oven until light golden brown at the same temperature. I don't recommend roasting on a pan since they easily get burned.
- If you don't have a power blender, you need to soak your cashews first. Boil water and soak the roasted cashews in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Drain the cashews.
- Blend all ingredients together until the mixture is white, smooth, and fluffy. You can use a food processor, hand mixer, or blender for this.
Adjust the spices to your taste. You can leave the date out if you don't like the mild sweetness or want a whiter mayo.
This amount makes around 1-1,3 cups of vegan mayo.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 57Total Fat: 4,6gCarbohydrates: 1,9gFiber: 0,4gProtein: 2g