These plant-based berry pancakes are very simple to make. They do not need any eggs, and by using plant milk, you make this recipe vegan.
Mixed berries with blueberries make these pancakes blue. Kids will love these as breakfast, especially if you fry small pancakes for them.
Ingredients and replacements
- Flour. I used normal wheat flour. To make these a bit healthier, you can use whole wheat flour or replace half of the amount with whole wheat.
- Plant milk. All kinds of plant milk work with these pancakes.
- Mixed frozen berries. Frozen berries are easy to use since they are budget-friendly, and you have access to berries all year round. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries are all good options. Currants are a bit sour and need more sweetening.
- Maple syrup. You can also use 1-2 tablespoon of sugar instead.
- Vinegar. Use apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar. Lemon juice can replace vinegar.
- Baking soda. You can also use baking powder instead of soda; use 2 teaspoon of this.
How to make the mixed berry pancakes
- Thaw the berries. You can quickly thaw them in the microwave. Heat them for 1 minute at a high temperature. Whole strawberries need a longer time. You can also thaw them overnight in the fridge.
- Mix plant milk and vinegar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Start by adding the berry mix, maple syrup, and then baking powder and the flour. Mix to an even batter.
- Fry on a small pan. For a minimum amount of oil, use sprayable oil. Wait until the pan is hot. Add ½-1 teaspoon of oil to the pan and pour about ¼ cup of batter. Please wait for the top to bubble and firm up on the edges before flipping it.
How to make fluffy pancakes
Pancakes become fluffy if you add baking powder or baking soda to them. It makes the batter bubble in heat, and this creates air inside the pancakes.
Baking soda always needs something acidic with it to become activated. Then carbon dioxide is formed, and this makes fluffy pancakes.
Baking powder contains both the soda and the acid in itself. This is why you don't need to add any acidic ingredient if you use baking powder. The baking powder becomes activated from the liquid.
Soda is more effective than baking powder. It is usually used in ratio 1:4.
If you want these pancakes to become more fluffy, you can add 1 teaspoon more soda or 2-4 teaspoon of baking powder.
I think both add too much taste to the pancakes, and I don´t like that taste. This is why it is good not to add too much.
How to make a flatter pancake
You can make flat crepe-style pancakes by leaving the baking soda and adding slightly more liquid to the batter. The berries though forms clumps, so if you want a smooth batter, then puree the berries before using them in the dough. Use for example a hand mixer.
To fry pancakes quickly
Use multiple frying pans! It takes a lot of time to fry up the whole batter in one small pan. I usually have 2-3 pans at the same time. By making bigger pancakes in diameter you also save time.
You can use fresh berries and cut them up into small pieces. Frozen berries must be thawed, mashed, or pureed. If you use small frozen berries, like blueberries, they do not need to be thawed thoroughly.
Eat within 3 days.
Place the pancakes on a sheet covered with baking paper. Place them next to each other and freeze for around 30-40 minutes. After this, you can transfer them to a freezer bag or container. This way of freezing makes them no to stick to each other.
What to serve with the pancakes?
Choose one or several additions to top your pancakes with.
- Maple syrup
- Strawberry jam
- Chia-berry jam
- Ice cream
- Cashew cream
- Vanilla sauce
How to add more fiber to these vegan berry pancakes?
- Add 1-2 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1-2 tablespoon of crushed flax seeds
- Change the flour to whole grain wheat flour
- Replace ½ cup of flour with chickpea flour.
- Add 1 mashed banana
- Eat with sliced pears or berries
- 2 cups Wheat flour
- 2 cups Plant milk
- 1 cup Frozen mixed berries
- 2 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt. Needs just a pinch.
- 3 tablespoon Oil for frying.
- Thaw the frozen berries in microwave for 1-2 minutes. Mash them with a fork.
- Mix the plant milk and vinegar together.
- Add in the mixture the berries and maple syrup. Mix.
- Add the baking soda and flour and mix to an even batter.
- Heat up your frying pan. Fry the pancakes on medium heat. Turn them over when the batter starts to bubble on the top and firm up a bit and the bottom has some color.
- Serve with strawberry jam, berries or maple syrup.
Leave a Comment