Creamy, thick, chocolaty, and perfectly sweet, simple three-ingredient chocolate mousse. Made of coconut cream, dates, and cocoa powder. Sugar- and dairy-free vegan easy dessert.
Do you also follow a plant-based diet? It can be hard to come up with healthy dessert ideas. And yes, even if you would be dieting, you might want to make a dessert sometimes. This chocolate mousse is so rich and chocolaty, so even a small amount will cure that chocolate craving. Top with healthy berries or fruits.
An even more healthy option is the chocolate avocado mousse. Avocados don´t have any saturated fat as coconut cream, so it is a better option if you have diabetes or heart disease. This mousse is a bit better since coconut milk is so fatty, so the taste is really rich and smooth.
This mousse can also be used as a filling in cakes or to be made to a mousse cake if some agar agar is added.
Ingredients you need
Coconut cream, the thick part of a coconut can. You must let the coconut can rest in the fridge overnight.
Cocoa powder. Use regular sugar-free cocoa powder, this has the most intense chocolate flavor. Raw cocoa powder does not taste as chocolaty.
Dates. It is easiest if you have ready date paste, Or mix 6 soft dates to a smooth paste. Instead of dates you can use as sweetening maple syrup, 2 tbsp. Some stevia powder or drops, erythritol, xylitol, honey, date syrup, agave syrup, coconut sugar or regular sugar.
I recommend using dates since they are the most healthy sweetening option since it is the whole fruit with the fiber. Read more about date paste here.
How to make the mousse
Use a mini processor to make paste from the dates. Pit your dates, mix in 2 tablespoon of the coconut cream and make to a smooth paste, you might need to scrape down a couple of times the walls.
If you don´t have a small processor, then make a bigger batch of date paste in a regular processor or use a hand mixer.
Whip the cold coconut cream 2-3 minutes, until a bit fluffier.
Add in the date paste and cocoa powder and whisk until mixed evenly.
Put in other spices if you like. You can add:
- Vanilla drops or vanilla sugar
- Rum flavor
- Alcohol like rum
- Bitter almond drops
- Lemon zest
- Orange zest
- Chocolate nibs
- Chocolate bites
- Roasted nuts
Portion the dessert to small glasses and place in the fridge until serving. Decorate directly after portioning or just before serving.
As decorations you can use:
- Pineapple ground berries
- Cut mango
- Roasted nuts
- Coconut flakes
- Cocoa nibs
- Chocolate bites
- Candied fruits
Put a chocolate dome on top of this to make a fun surprise dessert.
3 ingredient chocolate mousse
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 6 soft dates ex medjool. or ⅓ cup ready date paste.
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Toppings: fruits berries, dark chocolate decorations, etc..
- Pit your soft dates, put them in a small food processor together with 2 tablespoon of the coconut cream. Mix into a smooth paste. If it is difficult to mix this small amount, use a hand mixer or make a bigger batch of date paste.
- Use coconut milk can that has been in the fridge overnight. Use the thick creamy part of the coconut. Whisk the coconut cream as cold in a bowl for a couple of minutes. This does not become fluffy as cream but a little airier.
- Add the date paste and cocoa powder and whisk even. Portion the dessert to glasses. Place in the fridge until serving.
- Decorate with preferred toppings.
Leave a Comment