Skagenröra is a popular Swedish seafood salad. This vegan version of Skagen is a great spread on toast, filling on oven potatoes, or in a sandwich cake.
How is a traditional Skagenröra made?
Skagen seafood salad has as the main ingredient shrimps. It is made of mayonnaise, shrimps, onion, dill, and caviar.
Many people are familiar with Toast Skagen. Toast Skagen has the same ingredients but differently assembled on a toast. Mayonnaise, a heap of shrimps, some cut onion topped with caviar, fresh dill, and a lemon slice.
Nowadays people do variations of this. Some put 50/50 of mayo and creme fraiche to get a little lighter version. Instead of shrimps some use crab sticks, surimi. Especially in store bought cheap packages not much real shrimp is used, but it is replaced with shrimp aroma and pollock and seaweed caviar.
Origin of skagenröra
Skagen is a place in Denmark, but the Skagenröra is not a Danish treat. It was a Swedish chef, Tore Wretman that invented this dish in the '50s. He was sailing on the coast of Skagen when he made his first Toast topped with shrimps and mayo for the hungry crew of ingredients he could find in the fridge, so he named it Toast Skagen.
Skagenröra is nowadays found in all grocery shops in Sweden. If you visit Sweden, you definitely have to try it. Some stores also sell a vegan version, but the best vegan version is self-made.
Ingredients for a vegan version
Ingredients you need to make Skagenröra:
- Mayonnaise. I like to use self-made cashew mayo because it is healthier than a regular oil-based one. But you can use any vegan mayonnaise. You can also replace mayonnaise with a plant-based mild yogurt or creme fraise, but I find that some brands give a bit strange taste.
- Tofu. Use very firm tofu for this. If you find smoked tofu, it is the best for this recipe. There can also be found vegan shrimp; you can also use this.
- Red onion. For a FODMAP-friendly version, you can use chives instead.
- Caviart. Caviart is seaweed caviar. You can find it in red, yellow, and black. Walmart sells kelp caviar. Some Ikeas sell it too, and on Amazon, you can find it with the brand caviart.
- Fresh Dill. If you don't have fresh, then use dried dill.
- Salt&Pepper. Lemon pepper goes well also with this.
How to make it
Start by cutting the onion into really small pieces. Use a knife or an onion cutter. Cut the tofu into small cubes.
Cut the fresh dill into small pieces with a knife or scissors. Leave the thick stems unused and use the green soft parts.
A tip; you can use the stems in potato boiling water to add flavor, this is how new potatoes are boiled in Sweden.
As last mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
What do you eat Skagen with
On Sandwich. Use this as a spread. This is traditionally served with Scandinavian sweet rye bread. Great on wheat toast also.
Blini pancakes( Russian buckwheat pancakes) This Skagen goes perfect with savory Blinis.
With savory waffles or crepes. Try this as a filling in crepes or waffles. You will love it!
Oven potato filling
Sandwich cake filling. Make a carrot lox sandwich cake with Skagen filling. Great for parties.
Avocados topped with Skagen. Great appetizer or coctail snack.
The Skagenröra lasts 3-4 days in fridge. Mayonnaise can alter its color if not stored airtight. I do not recommend freezing.
- ½ cup Vegan Mayonnaise, 1,2 dl
- ½ red onion
- 100 grams extra firm smoked tofu
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill, 0,6 dl
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- +/- Salt
- ½ jar, 80 grams caviart, seaweed pearls
For the Cashew vegan mayonnaise
- ¾ cup cashews, 110 g
- ⅓ cup water, 80ml
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- +/- Salt
- Start by soaking the cashews for the mayonnaise. Let them rest in hot water for 15 minutes. If you have a high-speed blender, you don't need to soak them.
- Cut your onion into small pieces.
- Cut your tofu into small cubes.
- Chop the soft green parts of the fresh dill with a knife or scissors.
- Make the mayonnaise by putting all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blending until it is smooth and fluffy.
- Mix the mayo, onions, tofu, caviart, and spices together.
I recommend making a double batch of the recipe because often, one tofu package is 200 grams. The double amount is though a lot, 2 bowls as in the picture. But this is so good that you probably will eat it.
The recipe amount is enough for one sandwich cake or as filling for 4 big baked potatoes.
You can spread approx six toasts with a thin layer of the spread. 3 toasts to make a more traditional Toast Skagen with a lot of filling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 14gCarbohydrates: 5,5gFiber: 1,8gProtein: 10g
Nutrition calculated using the cashew mayo. If you use regular mayo it has 25 kcal more/ serving. 21g fat, but only 0,8 grams carbs.